This is the “Coca Cola” route. It is the easiest, shortest, and most popular trek on the mountain. This is the only route where you will sleep in huts.
The first day climb is to Mandara Hut (2,743m). From the park entrance, to which transport from your hotel is arranged, the climber enters the rain forest. It is a 3 hours walk to the first hut, through verdant scenery. The forest teems with bird life, and Colubus and other monkeys may be seen.
The second day trek is to Horombo Hut (3,760m) is about ten miles and takes 5 to 6 hours. About half an hour after leaving Mandara hut, the climber emerges from the rain forest onto alpine meadow. This is very pretty day, with splendid view possible of the two peaks and of the plains below the mountain. The vegetation is also quite spectacular especially higher up, where giant lobelias and scenes may be seen. Higher still, the vegetation becomes thinner, and the effects of altitude, commonly experienced shortness of breath, may begin to be felt.
On the third day, the climbers will hike for 2 hours to Zebra rock for acclimatize then back to Horombo Hut for overnight.
Climbing continues to Kibo Hut (4,730m), which is at the foot of Kibo peak. The route takes the climber up to saddle between the peaks of Kibo and the Mawenzi, and then across the high altitude desert to the hut. Again, the climb takes about 6 hours.
This day in the morning, you will be back from the summit at Uhuru peak (5,895m). Climber return to Horombo for overnight.
Then descend to Marangu Gate where the vehicle will transfer you back to your hotel (Moshi town)
BOOK THIS TOUR
- Transfers from/to Kilimanjaro airport (JRO)
- Transfers to/from Marangu gate from Moshi town
- All national park gate fees
- Hut fees
- Certified, experience English-speaking guides
- Porters and Cook salaries
- Rescue fees (required by national park)
- All meals on the mountain
- Accommodation before and after climb
- Cooking equipment, and eating utensils
- All government tax
- Tips for porters, cook and guides
- All climbing gears such as sleeping bag,boot,rain clothes etc
- All items of personal nature such as beers, cigarette etc